March 22, 2013

Halo Legends Mini-Review


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi3VUil6Y8w-xWxoeY2qtAPWwwvpcb0Whyxfi1e2mviUpgiEJE26uDmowru54gNJ3qcCU2aZrFlQp7TGDVYYZfVJdixqDTc0ErrIHpemPbaLJjqUwK-uYxjjl8cnS75OuTD88hsvmXByb8/s1600/140g5ya.jpg
Halo Legends is a series of 7 anime shorts produced by  a variety of animation studios.  Several of these are quite big names, responsible for anime or manga such as Bones (Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven, Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist), Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell, End of Evangelion, FLCL), and Toei Animation (Dragon Ball (Z, GT), Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, and MUCH more).

I'm a huge Halo fan, although that bias doesn't show in this review.  I was fully expecting Halo Legends to be just a major corporation milking a cash cow.  I expected it to be crap, but crap that I would enjoy watching for ~70 minutes.

Holy hell, it was actually amazing.  Not only was it not a shallow action piece, but somehow they managed to achieve character growth in several of the shorts.  Character growth and poignancy, in 10 minutes.  There are some that are more action, and one that's comedy, but the overall grouping is amazing.  I rated this anime 93 out of 100, for a 5 star rating.  Ironically, despite what I commented above, poignancy and character development were actually the most heavily penalized categories (though they are still above average).  I heartily recommend this series, especially since you can watch it easily in a single sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment